About the Artist
- Born in Calcutta, India, Poonam studied Fashion Design at the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), India.
- Poonam Malpani was awarded a Gold Medal by the President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam for topping the college at National level.
- The artist also had a humongous opportunity to represent India at the UNESCO Art Camp in Andorra in 2014, where she created three artworks which is now a part of the UNESCO permanent art collection.
- Poonam was selected to create the background art for Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi’s visits to Paris in 2016 and 2018.
- In 2019 she was awarded with the GOPIO achievers award for spreading Indian art and culture in France.
- Poonam’s work has been showcased in individual and group exhibitions across Europe, India and Japan and New York.
” A dance crazy colour freak, a people hugger, a smiler and a lover. Ever since I remember being, I have been an artist. I rely very heavily on my intuition in life and especially in my art. I love and practice very many forms of art like painting, body painting, designing clothes, mixed media, wall murals and dance, as art comes to me most effortlessly. It’s the joy of creating something that does not already exist in the world that excites me the most. I am constantly brimming with new ideas; it’s putting them to action is what I strive for. I believe each piece of art carries lifelike energies of its creator and to me that is pure magic. Every piece of art I create is a vision of how I felt at the time and space of its creation. I am also very aware of the fact that all I create is actually being created through me as a channel by the source, as I can never really tell how I produced it and yet there is a sense of surety!
Art helps me understand who I truly am while I get lost in the creation! It has given me a purpose. The purpose of sharing this gift as authentically as I can with myself and others around me, because ART HEALS!
Among other things, I have been a National level Roller skater and State level Rower in India. I love to cook, bake, dive deep in long meditations and spiritual conversations, do Yoga, enjoy my husband and my child’s energies and read Tarot and Oracle cards too! 🙂 “